Easy to Drink & Refill
- 2 straw positions along with cage & mount adjustments allows for perfect straw location.
- Included bite valve allows for fluid intake only, no air intake which causes bloating.
- Bite valve keeps fluid at top of straw for faster drinking.
- Refilling & Replacing Options
- Solid Refill Lid is ideal for adding powder, tablets and fluid.
- Slotted Refill Lid is ideal for adding tablets and fluid.
- Refill area is located behind the computer allowing you to keep the computer screen clean & clear!
- The TORPEDO BOTTLE can be moved to another XLAB cage on your bike so you can use standard bottles or bottles from an aid station.
Bottle Design & Features
- One piece body ensures no leaking!
- Bottle made in the USA and is lead free, BPA-Free and HDPE food safe certified
- TRUE 26 oz bottle capacity (768 mL)
Proven aerodynamically invisible by 5x WORLD CHAMPION Craig Alexander & Mat Steinmetz at the Velodrome, June 2013.
- Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) airflow optimized and velodrome aero testing approved.
- Bottle body design
- Contoured design to fit your arm shape.
- Small frontal area that allows a clean airflow around the bottle.
- Kamm tail. Reduces drag by 50%
- Airflow straighteners designed into the bottle to gather airflow for a clean, straight exit air flow.
- Flush lids reduce drag.
- Spacers - allows you to adjust the bottle to the height of your arms resulting in zero crosswind drag.
- Dolphin tail designed straw retainer - allows you to fold the straw flat. Directs air over the straw. Saves up to 100 grams of straw drag.
- Computer mounted in front of the bottle, not on top which increases aero drag.
Easy Computer Viewing
Why mount a computer behind your line of sight? The TORPEDO SYSTEM is designed to have the computer mounted in front of the bottle. Look down with your eyes and not your head!
Easier to Handle in Winds
The TORPEDO SYSTEM was designed to mount further back allowing easier steering for the rider
- Weight is moved back off aerobar extensions. Up to 4 inches (100 mm) of adjustment.
- TORPEDO BOTTLE extends uniquely beyond the rear of the cage to help move weight back.
Versatile Sturdy Mounting
When you want a sturdy, reliable hydration source, trust XLAB!
- Uses XLAB’s proven 4 Strap System
- Fits bars 80mm – 130mm center to center
- No tools required for easy removal
- Uses Carbon Fiber TORPEDO CAGE or the XLAB anti-slip nylon composite "VEE" cage with specially designed rubber retainer.
We have found the following computers and power meters to be compatible with the TORPEDO SYSTEM. As a general rule, the Torpedo System will fit computers that are smaller than 1 3/8" in length, measured from the center of the mount to the edge of the computer facing the bottle. If yours is not on here or you have questions on compatibility please contact us. Note: Due to extra wire lengths needed, wired computers are not recommended with this system.
- Strada Wireless
- Stealth GPS
- Joule GPS
- Joule - 1st generation
- PowerTap LYC
- 310XT – Need Garmin Quick Release Kit #010-11215-02
- 910XT – Need Garmin Quick Release Kit #010-11215-03
Computers that will not work with included Mini Mount and will require a separate computer mount, i.e. barfly-type
- Forerunners that require Garmin Bike Mount #010-11029-0
Inserting & removing the bottle
The bottle comes with a secure fit feature preventing the bottle from launching or moving from side to side. The best way to remove the bottle is to twist the bottle clockwise, lift the nose and pull bottle forward out of the cage. To insert the bottle, simply twist the bottle clockwise, push backwards and ensure the rear tab of the cage slides into the bottle recess found at the rear of the bottle. Then ensure the rear cage screw head clicks into the long recess on the bottom of the bottle. Give the bottle a couple test movements and you are good to go!
Straw & Bite Valve Tips
- Straw Placement: If you want a more vertical straw ensure the bottom of the straw is behind the groove found on the bottom of the bottle inside. For a more angled straw ensure the straw bottom is above this groove.
- Straw Tucking: Squeeze the straw near the dolphin tail while tucking under the dolphin tail for a quick and easy tuck on the go.
- Straw Plug: Install the plug from the inside of the bottle. Start the plug at an angle and push up around the perimeter of the plug. Ensure the top of the plug is completely through the hole.
- Bite Valve: It is not necessary to bite the bite valve with your teeth. Hold the bite valve with your lips and gently press and suck, just like you would with a traditional straw. Biting the valve with your teeth may deform the soft silicone tip and cause leaking.
Long lasting system
- To get the most life out of your system make sure that you store your straw upright and not tucked under the Dolphin Tail Straw Retainer to avoid any kinking.
Computer Mount Tips
- Computer Stability: If your computer vibrates, move the straps forward towards the computer mount for a more stable mount.
- Garmin Computers: Use the small O-Ring bands included and criss cross them as in the picture.
Can we buy the bottle separately if we already have the mount system? Yes it will be available shortly after the 4 complete system models have been launched.
Can I order just the bottle (with straw, bite valve, filler caps, etc.) to use with my existing BTA hydration system? You can still use your Torpedo Mount, but you can't put your computer in front using your current mount. The new mount that comes with this system has a space for this.
What is the difference between the Torpedo Mount and the Torpedo Mini Mount included in this system? The Torpedo Mini Mount is .5" narrower and 1.75" longer. It also has an extra slot located at the front of the mount, allowing the Aero Computer Mount to be installed.
I need the Aero Cage Optimizer for my current Torpedo cage and mount. Will I need it for this new Torpedo System as well? Probably not. You can adjust the height of the cage via the included aero spacers. The Torpedo Mini Mount provides a lot of fore and aft adjustment as well.
Do you lose more aero efficiency by having to use your arm to get your straw out, vs a rigid straw that is always upright? Nope. There is constant drag with a rigid straw upright for the entire race vs a few times to get straw up and down. You also don't have to get out of the aero position to lift the straw up.
Do you have data available online for your aero testing? We will be uploading data soon.
Using the System
Can the torpedo system be filled with the water bottle handed to you at an aid station without stopping? Yes! The Torpedo System comes with 2 different lids, both allowing you to refill on the fly. The slotted lid reamins open throughout the race. Quick grab of the bottle, few squirts and you are good to go. For the solid lid, just flip it open, pour your water in, close it and you are good to go!
Do you have a basic system? I don't need carbon fiber for my bike setup. Check out the Torpedo System 100. $74.95 and includes a nylon composite bottle, cage, alloy mount and all the accessories!
For all computer compatibility questions, please check out the Compatibility tab.
According to the instructions, I was under the impression that besides the spacers that come installed on the system in the package, there are two additional sized spacers? No, there are two different sized spacer sets for adjustability in total. One set is already installed on the system, and the other is included underneath the platform insert in the package.